Patient Empowerment: The New Mix of Patient Teaching and Healthcare Coaching
Innovative Models Achieve Sustained Success
|Wednesday, January 26, 2011
12:00-1:30 p.m. (EST)
How can healthcare professionals improve their skills to more effectively educate and empower patients? The answer lies in new and innovative models of patient interaction. Today there are emerging creative and innovative educational techniques that healthcare professionals can incorporate into their practice to help them improve their skills and be more effective in interfacing with patients – and witness improved outcomes.
Empowering and engaging patients to take an active role in their health and healthcare is a goal of physicians, pharmacists, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, case/care managers, social workers, behavioral healthcare professionals, and others who care for patients across the continuum of care.
The Case In Point Webinar series brings together two leading professionals from the field of patient teaching and healthcare/wellness coaching to explore the latest trends and chart the similarities and differences between patient teaching and coaching. They will also provide insights into how healthcare professionals can improve their skills so they are more effective in educating and empowering their patients to understand their conditions and become active participants in designing the plan of care to meet their goals.
Attend from your desktop or conference room. Invite your whole team to attend at one low price of $329 per location. Each registration comes with access to the archived version of the program and the materials until December 31, 2011.
About the Webinar
Patient education is the process of providing verbal or written material to the patient to improve their understanding of their medical condition, providing instructions needed to manage their care so they can progress and prevent complications. Patient education also offers an understanding of disease processes and behaviors that contribute to or exacerbate conditions – and how, by changing those behaviors, complications and setbacks can be decreased and quality of life can be improved.
Healthcare/wellness coaching equips people with the skills, knowledge, and opportunities that they need to develop their capabilities to master well-being and avoid disease. Mastering health and well-being is a journey of personal growth. Yet as healthcare professionals, we have been programmed to focus on getting patients to comply with our advice rather than foster their personal growth.
Today, most patient interactions are focused on numbers and deficits with little time spent on building a relationship with the patient that promotes self-efficacy and growth. Yet with models such as the transtheoretical model and the motivational interviewing paradigm we have started to think about how to assist patients to make lasting behavioral change which is the first step in improving health and wellness.
As the healthcare industry moves toward a patient-focused model, we are learning we need to understand the patients goals and discover new ways to help them reach those goals.
This webinar will provide insight into creative and innovative educational techniques each professional who interacts with patients can incorporate into their practice that will allow them to improve their skills and be more effective in educating and empowering patients.
- Gain an understanding of the similarities and differences between patient teaching and coaching.
- Share creative ways to educate and empower patients as part of transitions of care processes.
- Learn how to evaluate if your teaching methods are effective.
- Gain insight into health and wellness coaching and the skills needed to incorporate techniques into your practice.
Our Webinar Will Answer These Questions
- What is patient-centered care?
- Why do we need to understand the goals of the patient to be effective in patient education?
- Why is health and wellness coaching becoming more and more popular in helping patients to change behaviors?
- Who are candidates to be health and wellness coaches?
- What skills are needed to be a health and wellness coach?
- What are some of the new tools healthcare professionals can use to educate patients in order to meet the individual needs of the patient?
- What is plain language and how does it apply to patient education?
- What challenges do patients face when they leave the hospital and how can effective patient teaching address these?
- What are some of the barriers to effective patient teaching that healthcare professionals face?
- How can these challenges be addressed with a new way of thinking about patient education?
Sylvia Aruffo, PhD
President, Communication Science, Inc.
Margaret Moore, MBA
Founder, Chairman & CEO, Wellcoaches Corporation;
Co-Director, McLean/Harvard Medical School Institue of Coaching
Anne Llewellyn RN-BC, MS, BHSA, CCM, CRRN
Editor in Chief, Case Management Products
Dorland Health, a Division of Access Intelligence
Who Should Attend
- Case Managers
- Clinical Nurses
- Discharge Planners
- Documentation Specialists
- Healthcare Educators
- Human Resource Specialist
- Medical Directors
- Medical Providers
- Office Nurses
- Medical Management Supervisors
- Mental Health Professionals
- Physicians (in all specialties)
- Physician Assistants
- Nurse Practitioners
- Registered Nurses
- Social Workers
Live Webcast Registration – $329
Webcast Recording on CD-ROM – $329
Live Webcast and CD-ROM – $389
For questions regarding the Webinar or to register by phone, contact the Marketing Department at 301-354-1769.
If you are having any technical difficulties or need assistance meeting these requirements, please contact our Technical Support Center at 1-866-709-8255 or click here.
*Dorland Health does not offer any refunds for the webinar. All sales are final.
The live audio is delivered to your location over the telephone or your computer speakers. The Power-Point presentations are presented over the Internet and are available to print out before the program. This is like a talk-radio program with visuals on the Web. You and your team will be able to have a live Q&A with all the speakers.
More details on equipment and connections